Our Annual Retreat offers a refreshing time of encouragement and support for women and men who have been widowed, particularly in the last few years. We offer a safe place to rest and be cared for, to share common stories and learn together. Here you can find emotional and spiritual help, with practical advice that will assist you on your grief journey. We will also offer limited one-on-one support upon request.
Our Format includes Friday evening introductions, concert and special speaker followed by an informal time for refreshments. The Saturday workshops are practical and specifically relevant to the needs of the widowed; most presented by those who have themselves been on the journey. The day concludes with a meaningful Candle-lighting Ceremony of Remembrance. Don’t miss it!
WORKSHOP OPTIONS (Choose three)
- Hoping and Coping in the First Year: We explore the attitude, life skills and strategies for negotiating the bewildering changes, especially in the first year, as you confront your new normal, while always holding on to hope.
- Transitioning to Living Single: After we cope initially with the staggering loss, we are faced with the reality of being single again in a couple’s world. How do we transition to this new role and adjust to the challenges it brings? This workshop explores the “new reality” of what being single again means to our lives and the future.
- Complicated Grief: For those whose grief has been further complicated by multiple losses, death by suicide, violence or various other difficult circumstances which make your grief (and recovery) even more challenging.
- Experiencing Grief as a Man: How men grieve differently. Balancing relationships, work and the home. Coping with loss and loneliness.
- Christianity and the Griever: Major life-changing events, such as the loss of a spouse, challenge our faith and beliefs in a radical way. This session explores how our Christian faith can equip us to deal with grief and loss, and the resulting changes in our lives.
- Financial Matters: Managing your day to day affairs . Practical and sound advice to help you sort out your financial concerns, with time for a question and answer period.